Psalm 34:1-3

i will extol the LORD at all times;
his praise will always be on my lips.
my soul will boast in the LORD;
let the afflicted hear and rejoice.
glorify the LORD with me;
let us exalt his name together.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Sorry for the delay!

Well hello again. I am sorry for taking so long to update, but I have struggled with what exactly to put on here. I could talk about my family, but there is only so much you can say about a woman who packs me 3 sandwiches for lunch and a man who is convinced that is lottery never works because the government is out to get him. He believes that the lottery is rigged so he doesn't turn his card in until 3 minutes before the cut-off so that they don't have time to see his numbers and change the outcome. I am dead serious. I hope that someone else can find humor in that besides myself because he surely doesn't see it as funny. Anyways, yeah that is most of my family life. They are great. I will have interesting stories, but I don't know if they are worth reading on a blog! I mean I could tell you about all the Oprah, Days of our Lives, and Nsdinyo (an Afrikaans soap opera) but I have a feeling that you would rather be spared!
I thought about writing about different experiences I have had in the past week, but I don't know if reading stories about me at the beach will be pleasant for all of you who are snowed in! I have cruised the largest mall in Africa (so I hear...but that is also from the man who believes that the government is solely against him winning the lottery, so take that for what it is worth.), been to an outlet store, been to a few different beaches, and attempted to get on a touch rugby team. I have not been given an invitation to play, just watch. I am sure once they see how I look in my tight Under Armour gear that they will realize their mistake.
So yeah, it is tough to find something interesting to write about. My whole day is interesting to me, but I am experiencing everything for the first time. These things may not be as fascinating for you, and hopefully you know that I am here to please you, the reader/bloggie.
These things might not be interesting to you, but what is incredible is the work God is doing at The Warehouse. I am blessed to just be on the outskirts of what is taking place here. I recently started my case studies and group sessions with a few of the guys from Manenberg. It is so evident to see that I have come in a long way into the process with these guys. They are so open and honest with their lives. They have been discipled for the past year or so which makes it incredible for me to hear their stories. I can not imagine the life that these guys live. As if finding their next meal were not enough, they must fight for their safety as well. They are surrounded by drugs, gangs, and any other negative influence that you can think of, but yet they show how resilient they truly are. I quickly realized how over my head that I am right now as I began to speak to them one on one. My job is to dig deeper than they have already gone and bring up any feelings that they have suppressed or have not properly coped with. Already I have dealt with tears, anger, confusion, and fear. I am feeling a great bit of inadequacy. I would like to meet the therapist who does feel adequate in these situations because I don't think he or she would be prepared either. I am realizing that this is going to be a tough road, but one that I am not on alone. I have incredible supervision here and I am very encouraged by that, as well as those of you who are praying for me. If you want to direct those prayers towards the guys that I am meeting with for the next couple of weeks I feel that would be more appropriate. I have 3 meals, clothes, and a roof over my head. They don't.
How's that for a post that I had nothing to write about? Ha. I guess I can ramble with the best of them. I hope that you are all doing well. I will try not to go so long without posting because I know a few of you check this every day (cough, Mom). I know that you are all hanging on every word so I will do my best to give you the next section soon! I hope you all have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. Well it is about time!! I really wished you had talked more about Oprah and Days of our Lives though. Oh well. That is so awesome what you are getting to do! I will definitely be praying for those guys that you get to meet with. I have to admit I am one of those people who check this thing everyday so keep me posted! We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are keeping you in our prayers at the Neely house and will add the guys you are working with. And, for the record, we are quite interested in all your stories, funny or otherwise. And I, for one, would love to hear stories about the beach and live vicariously through you. I am tired of imagining that snowman outside in a bathing suit!

    ReplyDelete