Psalm 34:1-3

i will extol the LORD at all times;
his praise will always be on my lips.
my soul will boast in the LORD;
let the afflicted hear and rejoice.
glorify the LORD with me;
let us exalt his name together.

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Duke's in the Championship!

I think it has been a while since the last time I posted something on here. Sorry about that, but it is hard to follow stories of shake downs and stare downs with anything. Sadly, this post is not much better, but because a few woman (And you know exactly who you are, so don’t play innocent) won’t get off my back about updating it then the rest of you will have to suffer through a lackluster post. These past couple of weeks have been challenging and rewarding, relaxing and stressful, typical and completely unexpected, and I can’t think of any other opposing adjectives to throw in. I will do my best to explain each of these in some form or another, but because I know myself, I probably won’t because I will go off on some erroneous (never thought I’d use that word…I like it, so I may continue to use it now) tangent and get confused on my original intention.

I say that it has been challenging for some obvious reasons and some not so apparent to the eye. Working with youth, no matter if they are wealthy, at-risk, high-risk, middle-class, etc. is always a challenge. It is no different with these guys. We set up appointments on Mondays to meet, and when their appointment comes they are nowhere to be found. I anticipated this early on, but for the past two weeks I have been chasing down guys all over Manenberg. This has placed me in awkward situations in people’s houses I don’t know or attempting to ask people on the side of the street, which is always a challenge. Mix this in with a stomach virus and you have yourself quite the recipe for a frustrating time. I quickly became very irritated and upset because I was so set on coming over here and meeting with these guys every week, but that just hasn’t happened. Now, if I meet with one of them a week then it was a good week. Now for those of you who are questioning if I even do anything because I am only meeting with one person a week, you are allowed your right to question, but there is still plenty of work for me to accomplish! It has been a rewarding couple of weeks because we have made pretty legitimate relationships with a new group of guys. They invited me to play street soccer with them this week, and whenever you get invited by a gang member to do anything then you know you’ve done something right! I am excited to see where this goes in the future!

I have had a relaxing past couple of weeks because on the weekends I have been able to go to the beach and just unwind. I have found that the hardest part of this whole trip for me is processing everything that I hear. Friday I may have had the best Good Friday ever. I drove to a beach and packed myself a picnic and then I sat and wrote in my journal and listened to music for a good 3 hours. It is times like these that I love being alone, but since I’ve been alone for a solid 3 months now, I am looking forward to seeing friends and family! I have been housesitting this past week for a World Cup referee and his wife (cool huh?) and in that they have allowed me to use their car (scary huh?). This has been one of the greatest blessings I could have asked for at this time. That car has given me a sense of freedom that I haven’t had since January! I have been able to go to the beach, Robben Island (Where Nelson Mandela spent a chunk of his life, I saw his cell too, pretty incredible experience), City Bowl, The Waterfront, etc. It has been an incredible weekend! But just as it has been a great weekend, it has also been a stressful one as well. I have been working to complete a few assignments that are proving to be more difficult than they should and that is weighing on me. Also, I found out two days ago that the family I am staying with got evicted from their house. Well, maybe not evicted, but have to move out by Tuesday! This would be fine if they had a house in mind, but they don’t! This may frighten some of you, but please don’t worry because this is typical of my life over here so I am rolling with it! We have had a few good laughs already about it!

Lately I have been thinking about the power of God. It has truly blown me away. Not that he has all power and never relinquishes any of it. Not that he doesn’t use that power against us, but for us. No, these principles floor me, but aren’t what I’m specifically dealing with now. The fact that he entrusts that power to us and that the same power that healed, the same power that caused the blind to see, the same power that caused the lame to walk, the same power that turned a sack lunch into a Ryan’s Buffet, the same power that walked on water, the same power that conquered the grave, that power lives in me! Christianity is often times made out to be boring. If you go to church and do your best to be good in the eyes of others then you are a Christian. If you are in a Sunday School class and serve in some leadership capacity then you are a good Christian. I am not writing that off by any means, but that is boring!! What if we lived like we had that power? It excites me, because I have seen that power from time to time in my life, and since I’ve been over here I have seen it more because I have had no other choice but rely on him, and because of that I have seen his glory.

This weekend I have been most blown away by one thing. It was this weekend that we saw God’s power and love meet. I can’t expound on that.

So I apologize that this post was not the typical satirical masterpiece that you are familiar with. It isn’t that fun things haven’t happened, it is just that I can’t write about them on here! Ha. Joke mom. Kinda. Well, if you don’t here from me for another couple of weeks I apologize. It’s not because I don’t want to post on here or anything, but because I am busy moving to another house!

The title has no relevance to anything in the post, but I just thought it should be noted!

2 comments:

  1. If you cannot find a place to live, just ask some of your gang member friends if you can bunk with them for a little while. Simple solution! :-)

    Praying hard! You will be home in one month whoo hoo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TOBEY! Where are you living? Who is taking care of you? Okay, I know He is, but who else?And, what is it that you can't tell about in your blog? I need to hear answers--soon!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete