Psalm 34:1-3

i will extol the LORD at all times;
his praise will always be on my lips.
my soul will boast in the LORD;
let the afflicted hear and rejoice.
glorify the LORD with me;
let us exalt his name together.

Friday, January 29, 2010

It's a bit of a waiting game...

This week has been one of waiting and transition. Initially this was upsetting because in my head I had "come to South Africa to help young adults." I had this 'do work' attitude, but to be honest I had no idea how to do this work to the best of my ability. I am by no means making the claim that after one week I have high risk youth (HRY) all figured out, for all I know I won't have an experts knowledge when this is finished, but I have already learned a great deal. This week was perfect for me to be able to interact with the Warehouse staff and to form relationships with them. I feel like I am slowly becoming part of the community here and I am seeing places where I can plug in and be helpful to this incredible team. As I said though, I was initially upset, but I have learned in this week of waiting what it truly means to rely upon the Lord. Had I been able to come down here and immediately start working, I may have never learned that truth. Waiting on the Lord is more that just a sitting back and doing nothing. If I could redefine what waiting means in my life it would be more of an active waiting! I learned to not be lazy with that time, but to see areas where the Lord is at work and join there. I do not know the plans the Lord has for me while I am here, but He does! He is not surprised that my week has not been what I planned. In this week I was able to see the Lord work in my own life. I feel as if He is preparing me before I go out. There is so much I need in my journey with him before I can hope to encourage and empower these young adults, and this week was an answer to that prayer. I feel that I may be all over the place so I must apologize, that is just how my mind operates from time to time! I did have the opportunity to meet two of the guys I will be working directly with! It was a great time! I had been anxiously awaiting the time when we would meet. I was able to gain a better understanding of their life and experiences through those conversations. Meeting them took away some of the anxiety of going into Manenburg, but it also made me aware of the struggles they faced every day. I was just informed that today I will also be given the chance to go into Manenburg to meet with these guys again! I am excited about the opportunity to get out of the office and finally interact with these guys a little more!
Life outside of work has been a transition as well. I moved into my new home for the next several months on Wednesday. The family I am staying with is very kind and giving! I will try to post some pictures of my room and the house for you guys if you want! I have been able to get out and explore Cape Town a little bit the last couple of nights as well. Wednesday night I went to a mall and saw a movie and last night I went to a book launch with some new friends! I have been asked to play on a baseball team with my host mom's son-in-law so I may do that as well! I think they assume that because I am from America that I am naturally good at baseball, but they are in for a rude awakening! I am doing my best at getting on a touch rugby team, but they are pretty strict on who they let play...at least that's what they are telling me! I am overwhelmed by the landscape here! No matter where you are, there is something amazing to be seen!
I am going to stop rambling for now and get back to work! This was a nice break from my reading! I have read countless books and articles on HRY. So many that I am finding that I may be high risk as well! I can't thank you all enough for your prayers and support! I love reading your comments so please, feel free to just start up a conversation! Have fun in your snow storm...I'm going to the beach!

3 comments:

  1. I hope there are sharks in the water so you can't enjoy the beach. I'm not saying I want you to get bit by one or anything, but I just want them to keep you from being in the water--all this is in response to your little "have fun in your snow storm" comment. And remember, tell that other Claire girl she has competition. haha :) I'm glad you are settled. We've been praying for you! I can't wait to see some pictures! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howzit Bru...I am so excited that you are in RSA, especially Cape Town. So much to see there. If you get the chance in between all your ministry go for a drive up chapmans peek. It is brilliant, or go visit Stellenbosch...anyway...it would be great to see a few pictures of home (RSA) if you get a chance. ttyl Lem Turner

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome! I love these updates! I am extremely jealous about the beach but I think you should know that you are missing the biggest snow that Jackson and Memphis has ever had in the history of these cities...ok I am lying but I thought I should make you jealous too. Love you and miss you, Tobes!

    ReplyDelete